The key to fast charging infrastructure is access to locations, not subsidies

Fastned presents plan to accelerate expansion of fast charging infrastructure in Germany


In the run-up to the discussion in the Bundestag on 5 and 6 May about a tender for the construction and operation of 1,000 public fastcharging stations, Fastned today presents its contribution to the realisation of this goal. The European fastcharging company holds that competition for attractive locations will ensure that the best candidates get the chance to build and operate charging infrastructure so that German EV drivers can benefit from a high quality fast charging experience. With already 19 charging stations in Germany and 137 across Europe, Fastned is ready to accelerate its roll-out across Germany.

Fastned is active in 5 countries and the largest operator of fast charging stations in the Netherlands. The Amsterdam-based company started in 2012 after winning a large number of motorway locations in a public tender. Based on this, in 2015 national coverage was achieved in the Netherlands with 50 fast-charging stations along national motorways. Fastned’s fast charging stations with the distinctive yellow solar roofs are visible from afar, clearly signaling EV drivers and the general public that reliable fast charging infrastructure is available. This helps decrease reservations about e-mobility. High quality fastcharging infrastructure along the motorways is considered a key success factor in the adoption of electric vehicles.

Fastned hopes that the announced tender by the German government will significantly accelerate the expansion of charging infrastructure - not just by handing out subsidies, but especially by providing access to key locations through an open and competitive process. This will allow the best parties to develop the infrastructure needed, accelerate the roll-out and give German drivers the trust needed to start driving electric.

Fastned plans scalable stations with dozens of chargers
"If and when given access to the right locations, we will build charging stations with dozens of fast chargers right along the motorway, where people can charge hundreds of kilometres of range in just 15 to 20 minutes. We want electric car drivers to have the same experience as drivers of conventional cars. The charging experience should be even better! That means: convenient drive through stations without a lot of manoeuvring, with a roof to protect against rain, a shop with a contemporary assortment, and a toilet. We are ready to go and based on our experience and 100% focus on fast charging, we know that we can deliver what EV drivers need”, says Michiel Langezaal, CEO of Fastned.

Adding chargers to petrol stations is not enough
Langezaal is sceptical about the assumption that gas stations will provide the necessary fast charging infrastructure when the time comes, as many actors underestimate the required speed and scale. The CEO anticipates that by 2030 around 10% of cars in Germany will be electric. This requires fast charging stations with dozens of fast chargers, similar to the size of a petrol station. However, at the same time, the other 90% of cars will still be running on combustion engines, which means that petrol stations cannot be replaced. Therefore, new locations are needed to build this new charging infrastructure.

“Developing a big fast charging station, where dozens of cars can be charged simultaneously at high speed, is something completely different than adding a few chargers to a supermarket parking lot or at the back of a petrol station shop. Only if we think about the future already now and create large, scalable charging hubs will we be able to provide the charging capacity that the German e-mobility market will soon require". 
Michiel Langezaal, CEO Fastned

Click on the link below to download the HR image of the Fastned render (station + shop). 

About Fastned

Fastned has been developing fast charging infrastructure for electric vehicles across Europe since 2012. Fastned’s mission is to accelerate the transition to sustainable mobility by giving freedom to electric drivers. Based in Amsterdam, the company has built 137 fast charging stations in the Netherlands, Germany, the United Kingdom, Belgium and Switzerland. The company specialises in developing and operating fast charging infrastructure where drivers can charge their electric vehicle with up to 300 km of range in 15 minutes before continuing their journey. Fastned has 70+ employees across 6 markets (the Netherlands, Germany, the United Kingdom, Belgium, France and Switzerland) and is listed on Euronext Amsterdam (ticker AMS: FAST).